Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Somnus mihi

A ceramic mug sits lazy before me, doing little to heat the bean juice that lingers behind. A trail of coffee escapes down the side, down the side onto the wide oak table, that sea of wood, where it will only be a drop of coffee, in a sea of wood. A little farther away, floating, sitting, floating in the wooden ocean sit I, drowning in dull lamplight. Scenes, conversations, people, like surf flow up around me, and then pass, move on. Sometimes I try and hold on to it, grasp it, but it always falls away, or sinks into the sand. An old man in front of me, across the oak table in an old green chair, in front of me, fell asleep on his beard and belly, while his computer heated and his coffee cooled next to him. He left at noontime, but he will come back, like the tide, or the fat robins that migrate. A woman brought in another old man and sat opposite the first one, the sleepy one. This man, brought by the woman, seemed infirmed, helpless, like his mind had drifted back to infancy. But when the coffee touched his lips, and warmed his throat, discoloring his teeth on the way, his mouth opened and he talked and talked and spoke of days gone by which nobody remembers. Of Carrie and Ann playing on the red hill, playing without him, the baseball game he hitchhiked to, when who won? I can't remember who won. And the first old man sleeps on, not knowing who won, sleeping opposite him, himself opposite to the talking man, one's mouth opened by coffee, the other's eyes closed by it, asleep, asleep and oblivious, while I watch, and eavesdrop. I eavesdrop like the crumbly brick wall that surrounds us, and closes in on us, and listens. And I listen. I listen to the man behind the bar pouring out coffee--it is too early for beer. People want to stay awake, try to stay awake, unless, like the sleeping man, their coffee puts them to sleep, and they sit there, sleeping while somebody watches. Now my mug, my cold ceramic mug is empty, and I too fall asleep, nodding--like a ship on this wooden ocean. But there is always more work to do, always something to do, at least until nightfall, when I will fall, and stay fallen, asleep. Somebody watching, probably, there always is. So up and out I go, out of the creaky wooden door, into the cold colored Autumn afternoon, trying not to let the warmth, the coffee-scented warmth, escape with me from the people who need it, sleeping or watching, in the coffeehouse behind me.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

the cameras are plastic so they're made really cheap (i got my starter kit off amazon for $50). So every camera has different places where the plastic is tighter together or more loose, therefore letting in more light onto the film. Its really fun and easy to use. you should get one!

Jennifer said...

True, i see your point about Halloween, and yes dressing up and candy are two of the best things ever, but i still think the holiday is dumb. I say we dress up for Christmas and go take candy from people. I'd be a manger. :)

Jennifer said...

Yeah, that does look like a lot of opportunity. But, Buying some smokes is all well and good. I got some on my way home and they didn't even ask for ID!! It was awesome lol But that means that i probably could have been buying my own for a while before my B-day.lol
That song is by Sondre Lerche. He's an amazing songwriter and lyricist. Its called Happy birthday girl. Its a beautiful song. You'd probably like his style.

Jeremy Sauder said...

I dig bean juice.

Well written, by the way. Very nice descriptions and whatnot.

Juliet SN said...

This is what comes of actually checking my blog for comments, lol.

*view Latin with delight*

Very nice blog :-)

Tyler Antkowiak said...

hey Ken Nice post. Goodness, I miss Bucer's.

Tyler Antkowiak said...

thanks Ken, and good save on the second sentence, that was a typo, duly edited